Improving our teaching and learning process is quite a big task. Technology at this time is a big help. We are now facing 21st century learners, the type of learners that are ‘’Digital Natives”. Therefore, if teachers use technology properly it would really help learners to learn effectively.
How can this happen? Technology must be use efficiently; teachers must use technology as partners not just as substitute teachers. It should not be used as utility vehicle but as a learning tool. Don’t just let MIM (multimedia instructional materials) to teach learning content instead it should be utilized to promote productive thinking and meaning making by the students.
The following are some of the ideas on how technology help improved teaching and learning process:
- Technology helps learners to engage in active learning and encourage them to participate in the teaching and learning process.
- Technology helps convey meanings or use to communicate meaning, with the guide of the teachers, messages must be process well so that the exact message could be understood and it would not lead learners to get confused.
- It supports construction of knowledge:
- Represent ideas
- Produced organized multimedia knowledge bases of learners
- As a channel of information for exploring knowledge to support learning such as accessing needed information, comparing perspectives, beliefs and views.
- With the help of technology students can acquire 21st skills that are necessary for their survival and lifelong learning.
- It helps students and parents increased opportunities for individualizing, customizing and providing access to education through virtual or distance learning.
- It helps also teachers to make teaching and learning process easier, teachers could easily discuss lessons and explain concepts through the use of video presentation, pictures, documentaries and other instructional materials.
As technology advances we have to learn how to imbibe it. No more time for refusal, as educators we must use technology to its best, highlight its strengths.